|author||Linus Torvalds <email@example.com>||2010-10-28 09:35:11 -0700|
|committer||Linus Torvalds <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2010-10-28 09:35:11 -0700|
Merge branch 'v4l_for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mchehab/linux-2.6
* 'v4l_for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mchehab/linux-2.6: (505 commits) [media] af9015: Fix max I2C message size when used with tda18271 [media] IR: initialize ir_raw_event in few more drivers [media] Guard a divide in v4l1 compat layer [media] imon: fix nomouse modprobe option [media] imon: remove redundant change_protocol call [media] imon: fix my egregious brown paper bag w/rdev/idev split [media] cafe_ccic: Configure ov7670 correctly [media] ov7670: allow configuration of image size, clock speed, and I/O method [media] af9015: support for DigitalNow TinyTwin v3 [1f4d:9016] [media] af9015: map DigitalNow TinyTwin v2 remote [media] DigitalNow TinyTwin remote controller [media] af9015: RC fixes and improvements videodev2.h.xml: Update to reflect the latest changes at videodev2.h [media] v4l: document new Bayer and monochrome pixel formats [media] DocBook/v4l: Add missing formats used on gspca cpia1 and sn9c2028 [media] firedtv: add parameter to fake ca_system_ids in CA_INFO [media] tm6000: fix a macro coding style issue tm6000: Remove some ugly debug code [media] Nova-S-Plus audio line input [media] [RFC,1/1] V4L2: Use new CAP bits in existing RDS capable drivers ...
Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt')
1 files changed, 16 insertions, 24 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt b/Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
index f3da8c0a3af..d8f36f984fa 100644
@@ -98,7 +98,7 @@ Who: Pavel Machek <email@example.com>
What: Video4Linux API 1 ioctls and from Video devices.
-When: July 2009
+When: kernel 2.6.38
Why: V4L1 AP1 was replaced by V4L2 API during migration from 2.4 to 2.6
@@ -116,6 +116,21 @@ Who: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <firstname.lastname@example.org>
+What: Video4Linux obsolete drivers using V4L1 API
+When: kernel 2.6.38
+Files: drivers/staging/cpia/* drivers/staging/stradis/*
+Check: drivers/staging/cpia/cpia.c drivers/staging/stradis/stradis.c
+Why: There are some drivers still using V4L1 API, despite all efforts we've done
+ to migrate. Those drivers are for obsolete hardware that the old maintainer
+ didn't care (or not have the hardware anymore), and that no other developer
+ could find any hardware to buy. They probably have no practical usage today,
+ and people with such old hardware could probably keep using an older version
+ of the kernel. Those drivers will be moved to staging on 2.6.37 and, if nobody
+ care enough to port and test them with V4L2 API, they'll be removed on 2.6.38.
+Who: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <email@example.com>
When: September 2010
@@ -470,29 +485,6 @@ When: April 2011
Why: Superseded by xt_CT
Who: Netfilter developer team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
-What: video4linux /dev/vtx teletext API support
-Files: drivers/media/video/saa5246a.c drivers/media/video/saa5249.c
-Why: The vtx device nodes have been superseded by vbi device nodes
- for many years. No applications exist that use the vtx support.
- Of the two i2c drivers that actually support this API the saa5249
- has been impossible to use for a year now and no known hardware
- that supports this device exists. The saa5246a is theoretically
- supported by the old mxb boards, but it never actually worked.
- In summary: there is no hardware that can use this API and there
- are no applications actually implementing this API.
- The vtx support still reserves minors 192-223 and we would really
- like to reuse those for upcoming new functionality. In the unlikely
- event that new hardware appears that wants to use the functionality
- provided by the vtx API, then that functionality should be build
- around the sliced VBI API instead.
-Who: Hans Verkuil <email@example.com>